Sometimes we have weeks to plan and prepare for a trip. However, some of the best trips are the ones we throw together quickly and hit the open road. So this summer, if you are looking to getaway for a few days but you don’t have a lot of time to plan and pack, here are a few tips to make it all work.
- Instead of packing every piece of clothing, have a spare set of clothes, bathing suits, or pajamas packed in a plastic freezer bag. This way your entire family can quickly change depending on what is happening, and you won’t have to pull out all of the suitcases to find what you need.
- Make sure everyone in your family has headphones for their electronics. You can grab an inexpensive pair for everyone for under five dollars. This will save everyone’s sanity because no one will have to listen or compete with other family member’s videos or shows.
- If you are traveling late at night or early in the morning, keep kids who aren’t’ sleeping entertained with glow in the dark toys. You can stock up on these items at the dollar store and they will be a ton of fun on long car rides.
- For older kids, use landmarks, road signs, and other vehicles as part of a scavenger hunt.
- Long car rides are hard on everyone. So consider breaking up the trip with a few extra stops. It may make getting to your location a little longer, but you’ll have fun the entire way there.